Monday, August 24, 2026

Beneath a Prairie Moon by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Beneath a Prairie MoonBeneath a Prairie Moon by Kim Vogel Sawyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the first book I have read by Kim Vogel Sawyer, and WOW! I can already tell you it will not be my last. I will definitely be reading more of her books! Beneath a Prairie Moon is a standalone novel—not part of a series—though I desperately wish it were because I am not quite ready to say goodbye to these characters!

The story begins with a woman who runs a matchmaking service. She receives letters and payment from sixteen men in Kansas who are hoping to find brides. Rather than simply sending the women off to marry these men, she decides to take matters into her own hands. She brings along a particularly troublesome bride who has already been returned several times and sets off for Kansas herself. Her plan? To teach the men of Kansas a little proper etiquette and, more importantly, what it really means to be a good husband before she sends any of the women to marry them.

What follows is a story filled with humor, romance, unexpected plot twists, and meaningful spiritual lessons. I laughed, I cried, and I was completely invested in what was going to happen next. I started reading this book late one night and finished it the following day because I simply could not put it down!

One of the things I particularly enjoyed was getting the perspectives of many of the townspeople and the women throughout the story. Seeing the events unfold through different viewpoints added depth to the characters and made the little community feel wonderfully alive. There are quite a few storylines woven throughout the book, and Sawyer does a wonderful job bringing them together.

On a predictability scale, I would say that some parts of the story were fairly predictable, but there were enough twists and surprises to keep me thoroughly engrossed. Even when I thought I knew where the story was headed, I still wanted to keep reading to see how everything would unfold. Near the end of the book a shocking turn takes place.

I also felt that this book had a similar feel to Amanda Cox's books, which is probably a big part of why I loved it so much. It has that same combination of heartfelt storytelling, engaging characters, emotional moments, and back and forth between characters own perspectives naturally throughout the story.

My biggest complaint? I desperately wanted a sequel! I was not ready to leave these characters behind, and I would happily read another book following their lives and seeing where their stories take them next.

The only slightly negative thing that I would mention is that I was on this incredible journey into these peoples lives and the book was amazing. There was a build up and an event near the end of the book and the last maybe 10 pages wrapped it all up quickly. I wish that it had gone more slowly over those parts of the story. Plus I wanted to know what happens next!!

If you enjoy historical fiction with romance, humor, faith, memorable characters, and plenty of heart, I highly recommend Beneath a Prairie Moon. This was such a delightful read, and it has definitely made me a new Kim Vogel Sawyer fan!

August 16, 2026 – Started Reading
August 17, 2026 – Finished Reading

View all my reviews


Happy Reading! ~*~ The Bookworm Geek ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thank you!